[hpsdr] New entry in the (almost) SDR arena

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Mon Jan 22 12:09:57 PST 2007

Philip Covington wrote:
> Alberto,
>
> Here is another way to think of it:  When someone buys a SDR-1000 they
> usually also buy a good sound card like the D44 or the Edirol FA-66.
> Flex sells the D44 for $159 and the FA-66 for $350.  Basically they
> are paying $159 or $350 for an ADC to use with the SDR-1000 (or even a
> SoftRock!!!).  If you look at it this way the $95 for a LTC2208 130
> MSPS ADC seems pretty cheap.
>
> Phil N8VB

  Phil,

   well, put that way, the economics are in favor of the under-the-antenna ADC.... and this is the closest step to the
ideal SDR architecture, after all... we just need better A-to-D converters, monotonic, with some more bits and with just
±1 LSB uncertainty... hmmm, a few more years to wait, I'm afraid... :-(

73  Alberto  I2PHD