[hpsdr] New entry in the (almost) SDR arena

Steven Wilson stevew at intrinsix.com
Tue Jan 23 10:04:41 PST 2007

Being a "professional" in this area - I can tell you that the actual
layout tools are pretty much the same whether you are talking about
Xilinx, Actel, Altera, or whoever.  The limit on upper-end devices is
the nominal difference between the free tools and the ones that cost.
Xilinx is the tool set that stands out in not using Synplify as their
synthesis tool. Synplify is the industries most popular tool used for
synthesis in FPGAs.

I'm explicitly talking about the processing tools, and not the available
IP that you might get from the respective companies also.  So - if you
can get the design to fit through the free tools into one of the
supported devices, then you'll likely see no real advantage going to the
paid-for tools.

73 de Steve KA6S