[hpsdr] Proposal for Loop Antenna Project

Ken Klein kenklein at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 1 18:25:18 PDT 2007

Hi Tony;

Well, I agree that a lot of this will just have to be seen once this is all
put together.

I don't think the mechanicals are going to present that much of a problem,
but again, I have to build it first!

I'm doing the first one with a vacuum cap, but I think the same process will
work well or even better with a mechanical cap.  I paid nearly $200 for the
cap I just bought, and I'm sure that's going to out of the range of a lot of
folks.  I see some suitable vacuum caps on Ebay for $60 or so, but they are
Russian surplus and sent from the Ukraine.  Not just everyone's cup of tea,
that.  My source here for caps and motors is Max-Gain Systems, at
http://www.mgs4u.com/index.html.  As far as the mechanical "breadslicers",
there are many on eBay and other surplus houses from $10 and up.

Tuning and aging and environment:  The 3db bandwidths for these antennas are
usually several tens of KHz wide, depending upon band, size of antenna, and
all sorts of stuff.  Playing around with the spreadsheet I mentioned earlier
can give you a feel for how critical or not this all is for your design.
With lots of points in the lookup table and a fairly wide bandwidth notch
for the antenna might allow the system to stay reasonably useful for the
longer haul.  Again, this remains to be seen, but I think it looks
promising.

If another solution has to be found, I'm sure a reasonable automatic
calibration routine could be implemented.  We could try an SWR check at the
top and the bottom of the band and shift the lookup table one way or the
other to minimize the aging drift.  That could be automated in code, and
most of the parts are already there.  We could run an SWR reading into one
of the PIC A/D inputs and tune from there, or at least flag the operator if
it goes out of some predetermined limit.    And the good part is the copper
tube is easily bent back into shape after the hurricane!

So bear with me Tony, if you want, and let's see where this goes; I haven't
done this before, which is why I'm asking for opinions and help.  The
research and design so far has been a lot of fun.

73s and thanks again for the input!

Ken WR5H