[hpsdr] Proposal for Loop Anntenna

Kurt Loken ae6uj at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 21:57:13 PDT 2007

I find that aluminum foil works better as a hat to
keep the aliens minding their own business...but
that's another story.

Well...it is cool that it works at all...but if all
you did was wrap it around the form, I expect you
would have losses from the seams.

The advantage with copper is that you could solder the
seams.  Also copper is a better conductor.  Not sure
how you would seal up aluminum foil.  For my
Frankenstein Torus, I was planning to go so far as
doing submersion tests of the seams to make sure I had
a good solder joint.  Better would have been some kind
of mass spectrometer method (using helium?) to test
the torus seam integrity. I'm sure that would be cheap
bench test equipment...not.

What size was was the torus?  What freq were you
operating at?  If you pull the aluminum foil off and
roll it into to a wire of the same circumference as
the torus, does it work as good as the torus?

By the way, I'm having my 4th of July meal with my
cousin who is a sheet metal worker.  I may just have
to bounce the torus idea off of him.  Maybe he has
some better ideas on forming a torus out of copper
than what I have considered before.

Regards,

Kurt - ae6uj