[hpsdr] Blackfin

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan vu3rdd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 05:13:15 PDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Philip Covington <p.covington at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then there is the DSP performance issue.   Until I see a working stand
> alone SDR system based on one of these $15 chips, I am suspicious that
> you are not going to be happy until you are into a much higher
> end/higher cost BGA DSP chip.

I don't think so. These chips can do VGA level H.264 encoding at 30
fps real time. Yes, I said encoding, not decoding. That is much more
computationaly intensive than any amateur SDR systems I have seen. The
LQFP ones run at 400 Mhz.

That said, I agree with you that the mini-ITX based systems are a much
better choice considering other factors.

--
  Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD