[hpsdr] Blackfin

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 17:15:21 PDT 2007

> I think that this might be adequate if doing just the DSP processing
> (not the GUI).  Put a small Linux on the flash IDE drive and DttSP.
> It could handle the font panel control too.  The Ethernet port can be
> used to connect to a PC to do the GUI.   If you want to run  it stand
> alone you don't need the GUI.

If you are going to run Linux why care why care about which
Architecture you run?  Why not ARM or PPC or Blackfin  Why Intel?

What ADC chip is this talking to.  Janus with a soundcard-like
bandwidth, or has someone bought a pair of Mercury cards each
with a 60 megasample per second chip.

The next question, before we can decide if any one chip can
handle the SDR processing is "What modes?"  Is it ham HF modes
or does someone want to use this thing with an transverter and
do packets at 9600 baud on UHF or possibly NSTC television.
NTSC is a 6Mhz wide signal.

Does this processor also have to manage the firmware loaded onto
other cards?

Can't really make trade offs or evaluate any design ideas until
you have a written list of requirements.

Actually I like the ideas of putting a PC in the box be it a mini
ITX or whatever. But I think it replaces the PC on your desk not
the one that is talking directly to the RF front end.

The processor that is closest to the incoming data is going to
be doing a lot of FFT and FIR filter stuff.  After this stage the
bandwidth requirements go down.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org