[hpsdr] Demeter progress

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Fri Jul 13 07:18:17 PDT 2007

Dear Tommy, and others,

Thank you for your E-mail. I do agree with you that dI/dt is a factor in
the noise generation. However, it is just a part of the noise-generation
problem and not the whole problem as you put it. In the mail I was not
talking about the frequency of the waveform but about the waveform
itself. The duty cycle (the ratio of the high-time and period of a pulse
signal) strongly determines the frequency spectrum of a pulse signal. By
doing Fourier analysis on these waveforms one can clearly see the
influence of a high dI/dt (or dU/dt) AND the influence of the duty-cycle.
The duty-cycle is parameter which can be influenced, within boundaries
off course, by adjusting the power-handling-capabillity of the SMPS. An
overrated SMPS will work with lower duty-cycles compared to a SMPS
wihich works at almost the top of its power-handling.
Filtering of the SMPS is necessary, but when we can minimize the amount
of "noise" generated, the filter can be easier to construct.

As mentioned in my previous E-mail: Soft switching would be a promising
technique for Demeter. Soft switching lowers the dI/dt and thus lowers
the amount of switching noise generated. The drawback of softswitching
is the (slightly) lower efficiency of the regulator. The switching
elements are used in their lineair region, so the loss (heat) will be
slightly higher.

This weekend I will try to make a setup for the power supply testing. I
have a kit for a variable load (heavy MOSFET plus some control
electronics), I assemble the kit this weekend. I have an old switching
power supply based on the well known UC3842 which will be the DUT. This
will be AC-coupled to the spectrum analyzer, and hopefully some usefull
results will come out.

Have a nice weekend, 73 Jeroen PE1RGE