[hpsdr] process priority

Nico Palermo nicopal at microtelecom.it
Thu Jul 19 16:16:04 PDT 2007

>> Another thing to try adjusting -- the process
>> priority.  At 192khz
>> you may need to run PowerSDR real time to keep it
>> glitch free.
>
> Well 192 kHz are not that much. While experimenting with the new Perseus
> direct sampling receiver, Winrad was fed with a
> 500 kHz I/Q stream, 24-bit samples, via the USB 2.0 port, and it did its
> downsampling, filtering and demodulating job
> with a CPU load of about 50% on an Athlon clocked at 2.2 GHz. Absolutely
> no audio glitches. The priorities of the
> various threads of Winrad, and the process priority of the main task were
> the Windows default. The hardware,
> reprogramming the FPGA, can go even at 1 Ms/sec, and that will probably be
> the next experiment.
>
> 73  Alberto  I2PHD

That's true.
I've not yet updated the Perseus' home page since I'm involved in other
more urgent (and amazing) activities.
If someone is interested to evaluate the Perseus+Winrad performance, a 20
second long 500 Ksps (only 16 bit/sample, sorry) .wav file, recorded on
last Saturday during a crowded contest on 20 m, is available here:

http://microtelecom.it/perseus/PerseusSatJul14-183539-2007.wav.

Please note that my server is on an ADSL connection and that the file is
40 MBytes long. You are advised, it will take time to download it.
My dipole antenna placed three meters above ground among tall buildings
doesn't do miracles too.

73 Nico iv3nwv