[Hpsdr] Call for Comments - ALEX

Graham Haddock KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 24 18:49:42 PDT 2007

All:

Well, the refelector seems so quiet that people are sending
themselves test messages to make sure it is still working.

For those who need something to do, I have a "call for
comments" on ALEX.  All the information has been posted on the
updated ALEX Wiki page.

http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=ALEXIARES

Please review the Wiki page for the overview, and if you want
to dig deeper, download the three ".pdf" documents at the
bottom of the Wiki page. One is the overall ALEX package, and
one each for the filter simulations for the two filter boards.

The ALEX project has evolved to the description as now
presented. I would like comments before we finish the PCB
layout for first prototype units.

Comments solicited:

Too many external (BNC) connections?  Or not enough?

Would you be willing to assemble this yourself, as opposed to
purchasing a manufactured module?  It is a mix of through-hole
and some surface mount components, and will also require some
mechanical assembly.  It is not the kind of assembly
that most contract manufacturers are used to dealing
with.  I could limit the surface mount
components to larger pitch ICs and larger passives.

There are about 20 ea. T-50 toroids and 5 wire coils that will
need to be wound.  Would you prefer a kit of pre-wound toroids?
Or would you rather wind them yourself?

Any concerns or alternative ideas you might have.

--- Graham / KE9H

==