[hpsdr] [Hpsdr] Call for Comments - ALEX - Packaging

Graham Haddock KE9H at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 15:47:29 PDT 2007

All:

I think we have beat this Packaging subtopic about to death.

What I plan to do for the first prototype is lay everything out on
two Euroboard sized cards (10 by 16 cm.) that will either be capable
of being the three card stack as originally discussed or being
put into a Hammond 1455N1601 extruded aluminum case.

With the Hammond case, there may be space
to optionally fit a third piece of bare PC board in between the two
filter boards for additional shielding, if necessary. All  nine BNC
connections
will come out the same end plate, the SPI control out the opposite end.

The BNC connectors will be soldered to the PC board, and will
extend out through holes in the endplates.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1455.htm

Poke around the website for optional mounting hardware,
brackets, optional colors, etc.

We will make some shielding measurements on both mechanical
configurations and go from there. I only intended the sandwich
assembly to be used inside of PANDORA.  If you want something
that would look nice outside on your desktop, I think the
Hammond case will do nicely, as well as being a better shield.

I can't imagine that we have to worry much about external magnetic
fields.  It is one thing to cause a VFO to wobble a few hundred hertz,
but if the corner frequency on a low or high pass filter wobbled a few
hundred hertz, you couldn't tell or measure it.

--- Graham / KE9H

==