[hpsdr] Enclosure for Atlas - Cutting large holes

Graham Haddock KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 28 12:14:55 PDT 2007

Neal Campbell wrote:
> Is there an equivalent of chassis punches that allow db25 punchouts?

Yes, Google search for   "Greenlee DB25 punch". Exactly what you want,
but you won't like the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ARDH62?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=msnshop-ce-mp-20&creative=380345&creativeASIN=B000ARDH62&linkCode=asm

> How would the experts on this list recommend to do this?

The following takes some skill, but if you have a drill press, some files,
and a small vise, you can get some nice results.

1.) Scribe the outline of the hole you want onto the panel.

2a.) Using a small drill, about 1/8 inch in diameter, go around the
inside of
the hole scribe line with a row of 1/8 inch holes that come very close
to the
line, and each other, but don't touch the line or each other.  When you
have
drilled such a ring of holes, knock out the center plug.  Then use the
files
to dress the hole out to the scribe line.

OR

2b.) If the hole outline is big enough to drill a 7/16 inch hole in the
middle,
without touching the outline, and the panel is soft aluminum
or thin steel, drill a 7/16 inch hole anywhere in the middle of the
desired hole area, and then using an ADEL hand nibbling tool,
nibble your way around the inside edge of the scribe line.  Dress
the finished hole as required, particularly if you want rounded corners.
(Google   "ADEL nibbling tool" for source.   $16 to 20 typical price.)

If you have never done this before, I suggest that you practice on a scrap
piece of sheet metal.  I would not try it without a drill press and
small vise.
Protect the sheetmetal while working it, or you will need to refinish it
after
forming the hole(s).

You can buy a nice Sears or Harbor Freight drill press, a vise, and all
the other
tools you will need, and still have enough money to take your wife
out for a nice dinner  for the price of one Greenlee punch.

--- Graham

==