[hpsdr] OZY-JANUS and software implementation?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 08:47:04 PDT 2007

--- Johan Maas <johan.maas at hetnet.nl> wrote:

> During the study i was wondering why the protocol for getting the
> streams in and out ozy is not implemented like all other soundcard
> drivers?

Short answer: It's not done because no one did it.

Longer answer...

I think the root cause is the way this was built.  The division of
labor seems to be vertical with one small group working on each card.
With such a small group it's hard to find a wide skill set.  So people
design-in what they know and understand.  Not many people have
experience writing Windows kernel level audio drivers.  And you
can't exactly find many example source codes for same either.  If
this were a commercial product a manager can simply hire people to
work on it but being as it is, it gets worked only by those who
step up to the task and they bring with then whatever skills they
have.

For example once ALEX (the filter/preselectoer) becomes available
I'll certainly want to write driver code that works under Linux and
a simple user land library. I don't have a Windows system but I'm
sure others do..  That's
the point of these open projects -- contribute what you can and
if you don't like the way something works you can change it and
make the change available to all.  Over time you get a snowball
effect -- over time the project becomes useful to more people so
there are more contributing so it becomes useful to more people....

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org
  KG6OMK