[hpsdr] Atlas Ozy Janus noise in transmit

Mike Naruta mnaruta at comcast.net
Wed Jun 20 09:50:55 PDT 2007

I finally installed my Ozy and Janus and
started using it.  While transmitting in
USB, I see noise on my RF monitor scope
and about 5 Watts of power, continuously.

I have turned my Mic down to zero (the
Mic meter shows -30), unplugged the Mic
from Janus, and even set the Drive to
zero power, and it still shows up.
CPDR is -30, ALC is -30, panadapter
shows transmit signal at -125.

If I unplug the I/Q output from Janus,
the noise goes away, so it's coming from
Janus.  Unplugging the I/Q input, audio
out, Mic, does not get rid of it.

Does anyone else have this or know what
it might be?

My HPSDR is just sitting naked on the desk
(see the photo for AA8K on HamSDR.com),
but I am transmitting into a dummy load,
and it even shows up when I set the Drive
to zero.

I clamped ferrite around the USB cable and
the official Flex-Radio parallel cable with
no change.  There is ferrite on the other
leads and I have even tried my isolation
transformers on both I/Q leads with no effect.

Putting a scope on the voltage test points
on Atlas showed that the DC was clean down
to 0.2 mV P-P.  My Atlas power supply is a
Ultra X-Connect X-ULT500P.

I am running PowerSDR V1.6.3 SCN701 KD5TFD's
HPSDR 2007 May 11.

I boot my PC, power up Atlas Ozy Janus,
run InitOzy.bat (clean load), power up SDR-1000,
start PowerSDR.

It's running about 15% CPU (with panadapter on)
with sound card selection of 48KHz.  I tried
192, but it was flaky.  Even at 48 KHz,
sometimes it hangs with MOX On until I power
down the SDR-1000 and terminate PowerSDR.

Mike - AA8K