[hpsdr] Demeter = HPSDR power supply(?)

Thomas McLaughlin groknull at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 15:19:18 PDT 2007

Roger, Chris, all,

The ATX power supply spec provides for remote
actuation
of the power supply through pin 14 (usually green) of
the Molex Mini-Fit, Jr. connector (aka ATX connector).
The power supply is supposed to maintain 3.3 or 5V on
that pin. Grounding pin 14, signals the power supply
turn on.  Likewise, letting pin 14 float (above 0.8V)
signals the power supply to turn off.  "Upgrading
and Repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller is a pretty good
reference.  Similar info and specs are available
online.

DIY linear power supplies should be designed to
conform
to the same specs.

The ATLAS board does have the external power switch
functionality. According to the docs, connecting T7 to
T8 will activate the power supply.  Since T7 connects
to the ATX connector pin 14, this makes sense.  By
installing header pins in T7 & T8, a jumper can be
used
for always on, or a conventional DPST non momentary
switch can be used for panel switching.

To do bus controlled (or momentary switch) power
activation is a little more complicated, but doable.

The method of interest to me is using the 1-Wire bus
(A18 on ATLAS) to control a Dallas/Maxim DS-2405
1-Wire
addressable switch.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2906
The remaining question is the bus master for the
1-Wire
network.  Any suggestions?

Thomas KG6ZOO

--- Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com>