[hpsdr] Go linear!

Roland ETIENNE roland.etienne at free.fr
Sun Jun 10 12:16:46 PDT 2007

Ken Klein a écrit :

> So I vote linear. IMHO, it’s cheap, dirt simple, and quiet. A little
> heavier, maybe, and perhaps a tiny bit bulkier, but it’s much cheaper
> and cleaner. Remember that we are in an environment where quiet is
> paramount.

> Ken,

I agree 100%.!! I spent a few hours this week-end to modify my
installation, integrating an Atlas-Lite (Thanks Barry!) with Janus-Ozy
in the same box with my sdr1000 100 watts.
I suppressed the 5v reg, 12 v reg and L1, L2, L3 to isolate the DC/DC
converter on the PIO board, and now my stack is powered by a linear
+5/+12/-12 volts power supply. For the moment, it is an external one,
but I think I have the place in the box to put an internal one. The
current consommations are (SDR stack and Janus-Ozy) approx. 700 ma on
5v, 400 ma on +12v and 100 ma on -12v.
The 100 w amplifier and the tuner are powered by a standard switching
13;8v power supply.
With this config., no more "travelling humps", spikes and DC noise. The
receiver is very quiet.

I have uploaded a few photos on my directory on hamsdr.com.

73, Roland f8chk.