[hpsdr] Gibralter?

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 18:46:09 PDT 2007

Michael/Horst! And Frank

Frank: I agree we should have a board to 'roll our own!' for Gibralter.
Perhaps a second Ozy would give us all we need. I/O galore and plenty of
umph in the FPGA plus the FX2 for computer input.. WE do need more Verilog
and FX2 - 8051 programmers.. Are you out there?

Horst: Looks good! Like Michael, I am totally puzzled by the true art of
crystal oscillators, and what parameters we are looking for as we 'near
perfection'. The 20 mm height looks a bit high for a board mount on Atlas.
Probably the Oscillator buried 10 or so ft underground to minimize ambient
variations! (smile) or a thermistor on board!

Michael

Yep, been on all the sites but I am still a 'closet' Time Nut. I've read all
the papers by Tom and others and spent many hours following the links. It is
also over my head, especially as we get towards 'coffin corner' of
perfection, and overcoming the REALLY fine vaiances. Talked with Tom, Rick,
John_A at Dayton they are pretty busy fellows. I'm hoping we can get
something going on Gibralter in the near future. This is really an
"interdisciplinary" project for HPSDR. It can be REALLY inexpensive for
folks wanting a good time source for the various radio projects, or pretty
costly for the time nut folks wanting the best. The best IS the 'hallmark'
of every HPSDR project. I expect that Merc and Pen will blow us away,
perhaps the best in the world! Maybe we can attract John - N8UR, Tom and
others on this forum!

Ozy is the place to start Gibralter. I see Gibralter as a variant of Ozy and
we can test all sorts of external GPS and xo's on Ozy... Just need Verilog
folks to lead us along!

Thanks
Eric - AA4SW