[hpsdr] Schematic capture software

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 07:24:04 PDT 2007

On 6/25/07, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:
> Philip Covington wrote:
>
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > If you have a Linux installation, try gEDA or Kicad.
> >
> > <http://www.geda.seul.org/>
> >
> > <http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/>
> >
> > If you are Windows only, try Kicad.  gEDA on Windows is not kept up to
> > date and IMHO is not worth fooling with.
> >
> > Make sure you have the latest versions of both installed.
> >
> > Both packages have their quirks.
>
> For what it's worth, I've been happy with Eagle, which has a freeware
> version as well as more expensive versions.
>
> It's available for Linux, Windows, and Mac.
>
> The pricing is basically:
>
> Free version will do up to 3 x 4 inch boards.
>
> $49 version will do up to 3 x 4 inch boards and includes manual.
>
> "Standard" version will do up to 4 x 6 inch boards and is $450.  BUT...
> they offer a non-profit use license for $150.  (They view TAPR projects
> as non-profit, so I have the $150 version.)
>
> Pro version does unlimited board size but costs something like $1500.
>
> One advantage of Eagle is that there are a lot of component libraries
> available.  The downsides are that the user interface is somewhat
> non-standard and the support forums can be a little unwelcoming.
>
> The downside I found with gEDA was the lack of libraries, and the
> utterly awful documentation.
>
> John

Diptrace <http://www.diptrace.com/index.php> also has a free version
available.  There are also various low cost versions depending on what
you want to do.  Diptrace is very easy to use compared to Eagle.
There is a support forum with excellent support response from the
developers.

The paid versions start at $75.

73 Phil N8VB