[hpsdr] Power supply filtering

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 21:37:27 PDT 2007

Hi All, Andreas, Jeroen,

Good observation, I agree with you that nothing requiring high power should
go on ATLAS.
And that maybe ATLAS is not intended/designed for this?

Maybe one of any new 2- or 3-slot ATLAS designs could be made to fulfill
these new requirements?
(And some way of coupling ATLAS boards)

On the other hand I think the discussion about power supplies should not be
limited to power for ATLAS mounted boards only, but for a complete setup of
a complete HPSDR receiver, -transmitter or -transceiver.

If this is included, then higher currents and extra voltages than just those
required for the ATLAS mounted boards may be part of the total power supply
requirements.
Also mobile/emergency use of a HPSDR I think should be part of the
discussion, as well as the "green" aspects of power usage.
If these are included, then power efficiency, -scalability, -modularity and
flexibility come into the discussion.

I for one am planning for a standalone (with a small mini-ATX PC and a flat
panel display included), mobile 10-14 Volt operated, 10 Watts or so PA,
HPSDR.

So for this setup I would require:
- A 10 - 14 Volt input SMPS main power supply (energy efficient, generation
of negative voltages)
  (Don't like them, but need them)
- Extra voltages (3,3 Volt supply for PC, ?? Volt for display)
- Extra current (12 Volts @ 5 Amps for PA, 3.3 Volts @ ?? Amps for mini-ATX
PC)

Somebody else will have a different set of requirements.
It would of course be nice if I could use (some of-) the DEMETER
functionality.

For that I think it would be a good thing if DEMETER could provide solutions
for more setups of a HPSDR.

Just my 2 cents.

73's,

Henry.