[hpsdr] Power supply filtering

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Fri Jun 29 07:42:29 PDT 2007

Dear All,

I had a look at the posts with regards to the use of (for example)
spread spectrum. Spread spectrum techniques used for clocking in PCs
were once introduced as a trick to stay below the noise levels as
specified by FCC-regulations (and the like). They were not introduced to
boost the performance of the PC.
As I indicated in one of my first mails about Demeter, it seems better
to have a known, but adjustable switching frequency. This will give a
peak somewhere in the spectrum but it could be shifted (by adjusting the
switching frequency).
The spread spectrum might be another solution, but my feeling says it
will only make things worse.

On the other hand: The idea would be to use a PIC to set the SMPS to a
certain frequency. Some software could be used to make the "stable"
switching frequency a spread-spectrum frequency.... This enables people
who live in a noisy area (the city or near heavy industries) to spread
the noise and not having to bother about the switching frequency of
their power supply. (The SMPS noise might be below the surrounding noise
level.....)

I made a print-out of a few SMPS-spread-spectrum references, will read
them in the weekend (I hope).

Furthermore, I agree with Andreas reaction: A table with the power
consumtion for each card for each voltage is necessary to keep
everything under control. The power supply should be "strong" enough,
but the Atlas should be capable of distributing the power. Another
option would be to use wires to bring the power to the real power-hungry
boards.

Henry, I agree with you that Demeter should be flexible. The idea at
this moment is that certain parts can be left-out (e.g. when someone
doesn't need the mobile operation option). However, the PCB would like
odd, with certain unpopulated areas.... are you suggesting we should use
a really modular setup for Demeter as well? With small PCB's for each
voltage and or function?

73 Jeroen PE1RGE

Doug Gibbs wrote:

>Has anyone considered using a spread spectrum switching regulator
>controller to reduce the EMI effects? See the following links:
>

>http://www.eetasia.com/ARTICLES/2006OCT/PDF/EEOL_2006OCT09_EMD_RFD_TA.pdf?SOURCES=DOWNLOAD
>
>http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/1077
>
>http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=3577
>

>Doug - W8NFT

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering
Electronic Instrumentation Laboratory
Mekelweg 4, Room 13.090
2628 CD Delft
The Netherlands

Phone: +31.15.27.86542
Fax: +31.15.27.85755
E-mail: J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
GPS: Lat N52.00002 Lon E4.37157 Alt 46.2m