[hpsdr] Pandora's Box

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:51:36 PST 2007

Ben

Will try to respond still 'typing out loud'. Will also try to draw out my
concept and post it.

A well thought out sub-chassis, would allow mounting Atlas and installed
cards in any sized/type enclosure as long as it was bigger than the
sub-chassis. The 'box owners' would be required to hack out a rough opening,
slightly smaller than the sub-chassis, to let the evil sprirts escape, and
allow mounting of the sub-chassis assembly.

2 pieces shipped flat. (I ALWAYS think about shipping!)

Piece 1: is the mount for the Atlas board itself with pre-drilled mounting
'holes' mating with Atlas mounting holes. Also a 'break line' to form a
right angle bracket for mounting the second piece below, perfectly aligned.
(also makes a good base plate to protect the bottom of Atlas, from resistor
leads floating around on the table for those with 'no-case' option)

Piece 2: With the six slots stamped out for cards, (standard PC case style
AT slot sizes and spacing).

Course there are many details to even construct this, like "once joined how
can I plug in cards with protruding connectors?" etc.

As Phil has mentioned before, it is hard to 'talk a drawing'. Where is Beppe
when you need him? (smile)

Eric