[hpsdr] hpsdr Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 6 12:59:31 PST 2007

Hi All,
  Harris RF590 uses a gas discharge tube at 75 volts and a level monitor to disconnect the antenna if the RF input gets too high. Cubic same. Racal RA6830 seems to be the most complicated limiter. I found a mini circuits part for $25 but only rated to plus 20 dBM.
  A pin diode would be less able to produce harmonics due to long Trr. Maybe a pair of them across the input with a gas discharge tube would be simple as long as the diode C isn't too high. The diode C can be isolated by a serise switching diode like a 1N4148. So maybe 2 switching diodes and two pins to catch both phases. with a gas discharge tube. I think a gas discharge tube will handle more current than a ne2. gfz