[hpsdr] Preselector PT-8000

Klaus Lohmann Klaus_Lohmann at t-online.de
Mon Mar 12 01:22:00 PDT 2007

Hi Phil and all,
the preselector of the PT-8000 is a series tuned circuit from 1.8 to 30MHz. The main inductance is based on a T-200 toroid. Researches have revealed that the IMD characteristics correlate with the mass of the material and the transformation ratio used. The IP3 of this preselector was measured with +50dBm. The series circuit is tuned through software by 5 inductor taps (5 bit) and an 8 bit capacitor set. A noise generator is used to tune and store all settings in a table. In order to enhance the filter characteristics the circuit is operating at approximately 3 ohms – there are down- and up transformers at in- and output. We should have in mind the design goal for this solution: Hans Hilberling, DK7LG, wanted to get a preselector with approximately 20 to 30dB out of band suppression. 20dB will give you 60dB enhancement in IMD/IP3 figures. If we look for more suppression to avoid 2nd harmonic mixer products especially with the analogue mixers (QSD) this might not be sufficient. I am working with 7 LPF for the entire HF spectrum. A HPF for (BC)signals below 1.5Mhz might be added.
 73s – Klaus, DK7XL