[hpsdr] [hpsdr-dev] Odyssey Siren A success

Christopher T. Day CTDay at LBL.Gov
Tue Mar 13 14:56:55 PDT 2007

Cool! When do we all get boards for our PCR-100's?

	Chris - AE6VK

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert McGwier [mailto:rwmcgwier at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:36 PM
To: High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List
Cc: amsat bb
Subject: [hpsdr-dev] Odyssey Siren A success

We had a complete breakthrough on the Odyssey Siren in the past two
weeks.  It will be used in Suitsat 2, in a terrestrial linear repeater
experiment by Viktor Kudielka OE1VKW and friends, who supported its
development, and we are already leaping all over the place to
applications.

Frank Brickle and I will be doing our SDR code on it over the next
several days.  The board as shown in the schematic needs some
modifications to fix the 3 - ish volt power supply for the Codec and a
modified oscillator circuit but we are certain it will all work now.

On the 10.7 MHz IF,  I measured 0 dBm max into a 50 ohm load and less
than -120 dBm MDS and > 80 dB dynamic range.  This is with a BOM of <
$50 in parts and about a $20 dsp pic chip!

Yesterday in Rick's lab, with W2GPS, K3IO, we made the above
measurements, hacked on code and turn the thing into a bent pipe
transponder.  I also did the hilbert transform to make it an inverting
transponder.  It all worked perfectly.

http://www.cnssys.com/~w2gps/amsat_files/suitsat/

has detected audio in an SDR-IQ SDR as well as captured IF from the
SDR-IQ of the transponder.  We have to balanced for image and do DC
offset correction but the thing works and sounds great as you can hear
for yourself!

73's
Bob
N4HY

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine