[hpsdr] backup boards?

Jason Hitesman jason at hitesman.com
Fri Mar 2 13:35:43 PST 2007

On 3/2/07, Rob Frohne <frohro at wwc.edu> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I really like your web pages.  I like your idea of including other
> sources too.  Can you select quantity 0 (zero) if you have some parts
> already on hand and don't want to order more of those?

Thanks Rob.  Yes you will be able to put in 0.  Eventually I'll add
some javascript so it will automatically re-total the prices for you -
but it's always going to be just a price estimate as the actual prices
can change from the supplier and if you order parts for more than one
board you may reach quantity discounts.

> Good work on this.  This is the first time I've seen a web page set up
> to do the ordering for you on one of these projects.  It is a splendid
> idea, and makes the sellers do the parts sorting, etc. which makes
> making up a kit of parts much easier.  Again, thanks for what you have
> done!

I'm just brining in an idea that impressed me from somewhere else.  I
can't take credit for the idea, it was Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo who
designed the MegaSquirt DIY fuel injection controller who ran their
group buys this way and gave me the idea.    They've since taken it
even further and their latest version color codes the parts by type as
well as automatically updating the quantities if you want to order
more than one set of parts.

It does make kitting a lot easier since the seller doesn't have to
deal with most parts.  And it's not that hard on the buyer either
since as you asked they can customize their order if they have parts
on hand...and with the customer reference that Digikey and Mouser
support the parts even come labeled with the project identifiers (R1,
R2, R3...) right on the baggies.

Personally I do have a bit of a second motive in this.  I love
building kits.  And this makes it easier for kit designers to offer
kits without having to deal with actually kitting them.  So I'm
hopefully it will spur some designers to offer more designs since it
will relieve them of some of the burden :D

My weekend plans may be changing a little so there's a chance I may
have time tonight to incorporate some of the alternative part sources
I've been sent and try to get the Mouser parts in as well.  If not
I've definitely seen enough interest in the idea that I will continue
to pursue it next week!

But I'm still open for more suggestions on substitute parts and
suppliers to get the minimum order quantities down so if anyone else
has more suggestions or wants to help review the suggestions Chris
AE6VK sent last night I'd appreciate the help!  It's looking more and
more likely that I will be able to make a useful interactive BOM for
us.

-----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ