[hpsdr] Pand-oragami-Lego-mania

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 09:55:36 PST 2007

Ben

I am definitely not trying to throw cold water on a 'one size fits all'
HPSDR Project(s) enclosure. However, every 'tab' and project on the website
implies a new 'custom not off the shelf product' we need to produce and
market. I realize also that my suggestion takes some of the glamour and
excitement away from a 'slick' case.

Each HPSDR product must have enough appeal and quantity to merit the EXTREME
difficulty of production, inventory cost, etc. UNLESS someone can do
'one-offs' economically.

My concept of a sub-chassis here, might have enough appeal, to HPSDR
Project(s) owners to merit 'mass' production.

(Ok Guys don't laugh, I gave graphics my best shot with non-state of the art
tools. Circa drafting tables.)

Here is all I really want, and can't produce with my relatively primitive
metal working tools. A stamping should be relatively inexpensive.

http://www.hamsdr.com/personaldirectory.aspx?id=517

It is just a custom stamped 6 slot Benzel that I can mount over a rough
opening in any case larger than the benzel and with enough volume to hold
Atlas+Boards. The benzel could even be 'fancied up' with custom finishes,
Logos, thickness for tapping, etc. That would make it more attractive for a
front mounted instrument case, for example. Resist the temptation to make
the plate larger for switches, leds etc. I plan to mount them in whatever
boat anchor I slap the benzel onto.

It would be nice to have custom made blank covers, however I can form these
out of readily available PC slot covers, or use the 'snap in' spring type
blanks. These blank covers constitute just another product which has an off
the shelf equivalent.

Taking the 'product' idea a step further we could have a somewhat ugly mount
for the Atlas Board, which might have multipurpose drill holes, which would
allow it to be used as intra-board shields, top cover, bottom cover or even
back cover. Obviously however, we don't want to 'box' the cards up too
tightly. They are pretty tight as-is. Accurately drilling holes for mounting
and adjusting is always a 'pain for me' having them perfectly spaced would
be a blessing!

Here is just a rough concept sketch:

http://www.hamsdr.com/personaldirectory.aspx?id=516

In any case this is a fun project. I look forward to seeing what Case styles
folks mount the Atlas in! I plan to replace the 'blue glamour leds' in my
Aria case with orange ones to remind me of the glow of the filaments from
6146's!

Thanks to all the designers here who, are giving us your talent to advance
the 'state of the art'. In my old age, learning is still a priortity and
reminds me that I'M STILL ALIVE!

Thanks
Eric

<snip>

And I think this dovetails well with Eric's thoughts - Eric's subchassis
idea could morph into being one side of this larger chassis...

Thanks and 73,
Ben, KD5BYB