[hpsdr] ALEX - Call for comments

pvharman at arach.net.au pvharman at arach.net.au
Mon Mar 5 20:28:29 PST 2007

Hi Lyle,

Thanks for the feedback.

Both you and Graham make a good case for using SPI to control the board. Graham
also is concerned about the ~1MHz clock that some I2C chips use being so close
to the filters.

What SPI chip do you recommend - Graham suggested an 74HC594.

With Mercury or a QSD (with the NF problem fixed) we are not going to need a
preamp on Alex for HF band work but we may need one on 6m. Not being a 6m
operator I wanted feedback from those operators before adding that to the
circuit. If we do want a 6m preamp then it would be a narrow band one optimized
for this band and not a GP wide band amp.  Perhaps one of the 6m operators
could recommend a high performance design for us to consider.

Alex is intended to be inserted between the TxRx relay and the Rx front end
since it can take about 2W before the RF switches compress. It is not intended
to take the roll of the main antenna relay.

I like the idea of a second (or more) antenna input and perhaps an separate 6m
antenna input (via a preamp if considered necessary).

Again, great feedback - keep it coming folks!

73's Phil...VK6APH