[hpsdr] ALEX - Call for comments

Steven Wilson stevew at intrinsix.com
Tue Mar 6 15:21:26 PST 2007

Lyle Johnson wrote:
>> The BIG problem with the SPI interface I see is the fact that you have
>> to have a Chip select for each slave on the SPI bus.
>
> Once we get to 3 SPI chip selects, we can easily make them an address
> to let us select up to 8 devices, 4 for 16, etc.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Lyle - all true - I'm more a I2C fan because I can have multiple masters
- which isn't something we can do with SPI. If we implement as you
suggested previously with a CPLD and have the minimum wires available
for either - then it becomes a mere matter of programming, and a SPI
slave is a lot easier to implement than an I2C slave.

As I said in my original email - we do have an application where we want
a party line usage where we have multiple masters - I guess it doesn't
have to be the same set of wires?

73 de Steve KA6S