[hpsdr] Intelligent or dumb Alex, food for thought...

Hollingsworth, Tommy TommyHollingsworth at tx.slr.com
Wed Mar 7 06:28:44 PST 2007

Henry:
I have a surge tester that will go to 25 KV.  I think a one to one
comparison test of the alternatives would be quite easy!  All approaches
would need to be installed on a standard (or the same) test fixture, then I
could test in 1 KV increments until the parts blow or the limit of the
tester is reached.  This way I can do direct comparisons without damaging a
radio.

I personally like the TVS diodes from Semtech.  The threshold voltage can be
picked at whatever you want.  The latest parts have capacitance values as
low as 0.5 pF.   I really do not know what voltage threshold would be most
appropriate, but if someone else would be willing to test them in their
radio for distortion, I would be happy to obtain any desired Semtech parts
and do comparative testing with the surge tester to any desired
configurations.  I am really curious about how the different approaches will
stand up to calibrated abuse.

Tommy Hollingsworth currently KE5LFR