[hpsdr] ALEX - Call for Comments - III

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 18:21:29 PST 2007

Folks

Gess I'll throw in my 2 Cents.

I like all of Phil_C's justifications for CPLD control in an earlier
message.

I don't see this Monster Alex on the Atlas buss for the few minor
connections, but an external board mounted in the inside world, shielded,
and RF connectors through the rear/front panel for all RF inputs and
outputs. The board could probably even be supported by it's heavier duty UHF
or other Antenna connectors through the rear/front panel. Small smx jumper
cable from the output of Merc/Pen (or some QSD/QSE combo) to input of Alex.

Inside world connections for clock, I2C, Reset coming off Ozy HDR2, for
command and control of whatever 'smarts' go on Alex who is perhaps equipped
with a RJ45 for TP connections from Ozy.

>From the Alex diagram it looks like every filter section has one input and
one output going to the 'relays' This would make an Alex motherboard a great
candidate for little 'daughter' filter cards on a 'plug in' basis. Tunable
in place. Small 'filter cards' could probably be 2 sided 10 or more to a PCB
sheet, since the configuration is about the same. Alternate circuit configs
could be accommodated. This would satisfy the myriad of filter combo's which
have been requested and 10 could be accommodated. Mounted so they are
accessible by removing the shielded side panel on my Aria enclosure. (smile)

Make the board the same size as the Amplifier board and go in a TenTec 9??
Enclosure!

Carry on! Great brainstorming!

Thanks
Eric - AA4SW