[hpsdr] Ozy with Gb Ethernet

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 14:38:59 PDT 2007

At 05:38 AM 3/12/2007, Donald Kay wrote:
>Have you folks considered the RFI aspects of Ethernet? I just
>finished switching my home lan to 100% wireless due to the
>awful noise my twisted pair setup was causing (20 over s9
>signals every 60 Khz). Personally,  don't think 10/100 twisted
>pair Ethernet belongs anywhere near a sensitive receiver.

I haven't had that problem.  I have had RFI from PCs and monitors, as
well as from cable Internet providers, but not Ethernet.  One could
argue against having PCs next to sensitive receivers (Oops, did that
just kill off the SDR?)... ;)

Obviously, there will be some setups that cause issues, whatever
combination we use (even the humble incandescent light bulb has been
known to cause RFI in rare cases).  If your setup is one of those
problem cases, then another method has to be used.  It's like my
setup which isn't conducive to having a fast PC next to the radio due
to space constraints (and the distance required is several times the
maximum length of USB), so I would be interested in a network
interface of some kind.  Yes, I could stuff a PC in... somehow, but
it would be a major undertaking, unless it's something with a very
small footprint.

It would be nice to have horses for courses. :)  USB for those with a
local PC, Ethernet for those who need a networked radio (hmm, that
adds all sorts of possibilities!).

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com