[hpsdr] HPSDR Remote Control Ethernet - Internet

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 06:30:38 PDT 2007

Henry

I agree completely! Seriously! We have been doing remote control of SDR-1000
and many hardware radios over Internet for a LONG time using Skype and other
conventions!

Should it be Ethernet and TCP/IP for Internet?

The 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000 mbs Ethernet discussions have been very
intresting, but at 10 mb rate I have exceeded my 768 K upstream connection
and 300 mb downstream connection to the Internet, by a long shot. I doubt
that I'll have a fiber connection to the Internet backbone in the near
future. My 'radio' will probably only be 10 or 20 ft from my operating
position in my hamshack, not on my tower or within fiber optic distances
from my house, so the speed is not that important. Compression audio codec's
are probably more important, along with routable command and control.

So 10 mbs should do it, if USB is doing it. My question is can we do it
almost for free as they are doing on FPGA4FUN on a Pluto board, but from a
few GPIO pins off Ozy?  Possibly with a RJ45 Magnetics?

http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/PT44201D.pdf

http://www.fpga4fun.com/10BASE-T.html

This probably would be all I would need. I don't know how many LE's we have
on OZY at this point in development.

Thanks
Eric

>(Remote controlled SDR comes to mind.....)

On a more serious note, remote control is a feature I would like, due
to the way things are laid out here.  A networked SDR would be ideal
(only need the output audio and control functions with a minimum of
latency).

73 de VK3JED