[hpsdr] Pandora Enclosure Project Proposal.

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Mon Mar 19 18:47:41 PDT 2007

Hello Ben!

Excellent summary!

> FUTURE CHALLENGES
>
> As Pandora is hitting a moving target, it would be nice to know what
> HPSDR card developers are thinking in regards to:
>
> 1)	Power consumption / Heat dissipation.  So far, with Ozy/Janus, this
> appears to not be a big deal.

Not yet measured, but my guesses are:

1) Penelope will be in the 2 to 4 watt range.

2) Sasquatch will be in the 4 to 8 watt range.  If the Atlas bus does
*not* supply regulated +3.3V, then Sasquatch will incorporate a switcher
to drop 5V to 3.3V.  It will have local regulators for lower voltages as
required, and these may become switchers if the current requirement for
the DSP and FPGA cores become significant.

> 2)	Card size.  Right now, Ozy/Janus are on the smaller end of the
> possible sizes for cards.  If future cards are going to trend closer to
> the 220 mm maximum, this would be good to know now.

Penelope is 160mm as of last night :-)

Sasquatch will probably be larger, I'm hoping for 185 mm.  I want space
for knobs and a local graphic display!

73,

Lyle KK7P