[hpsdr] Back from Dayton - WOW!!

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sun May 20 20:05:33 PDT 2007

Folks

Phil Harman and I 'kicked' around Dayton for 4 days and talked to MANY folks
about HPSDR. We got MANY great ideas! Scotty was a phenom setting up a full
setup of SDR-1000 and J/O at every forum as well as the TAPR booth all
weekend! Thanks Scotty! Thanks Dan - N4XWE for the fantastic handout, and
publicity! Thanks Tom - AA8YI for being videographer! Video of all SDR
forums will be presented to Hamsdr as Tom has the opportunity to edit the
video!

I had the privilege, thanks to Phil, to see the first Penelope! She is
beautiful! Phil IS a craftsman. Due to early tests, on this the only one of
the first alpha test boards, she will undergo some significant design
changes, with a new sexy 'mini-skirt' look!

Sorry for the lack of Teamspeak throughout we tried everything legal and
humanly possible to make it happen! They could provide hardwire for $150.
However that did not even work till Late Saturday morning due to Technical
Difficulties! Tom - AA8YI worked his butt off all the way up to the owner of
HARA Arena! Stayed till 9 p.m. on Thursday chasing down everyone related to
Internet Access! My hat goes off to him and his wife Mary for efforts 'above
and beyond'. This type effort has been a 'hallmark' of HPSDR! Several
wireless networks could be seen but not accessed. Even the Flex Radio Bash
at UOD was an Internet Bust! Signal strength was poor and only port 80 was
available. UGGG. I got charged $25 for being 25 lbs overweight on all the
gear I hauled for Teamspeak and speakers etc. I'll work smarter next year.

We had 311 attendees at the SDR Forum on Saturday Morning. The speakers did
a phenomenal job as did the 'helpers'! More details later. Actually more
since the speakers and 'worker bees' did not get tickets. I know because
that was how many prize drawing tickets were given out and we didn't miss
many!!! That is phenomenal. TAPR filled the room on their forum on Saturday!
Probably 80 - 90 folks!

The TAPR - AMSAT dinner at the Air Force Museum was phenomenal! WHAT A
PLACE! If you are in Dayton and really want to have a look at the history of
aircraft you don't want to miss this! Thanks TAPR - AMSAT WHAT A SHOW!

Phil Harman and I had a meeting with Gerald and Eric from FlexRadio on
Saturday and they confirmed that they will fully support the Janus/Ozy in
their main line SVN for future releases of PowerSDR for the SDR-1000. Thanks
FlexRadio!!! Also approved at the TAPR board of Directors at the board
meeting, that a completely assembled set of Janus/Ozy/Atlas and power supply
would be given to Flex for testing of the releases. Phil Harman, Scotty and
I delivered the board set to Eric of Flex this morning! Thanks TAPR and also
AMSAT for being HPSDR partners! The new Flex-5000 is an extremely well
thought out and produced machine. It will be the standard of SDR and match
and exceed the performance of radios costing thousands more. Supreme
craftsmanship and layout, as one might expect.

More later as the adrenaline has to wear off! GREAT HPSDR THINGS to come!
Many new volunteers and brisk sale of Janus/Ozy! Gettem while they exist in
this round!

Roland! Your post of performance made Phil and my day this morning. I even
had to call Scotty! Looks really great!

Seeing DK7XL and the PT-9000 radio was a treat! WHAT a radio!

Thanks

Eric - AA4SW