[hpsdr] PowerSDR + Ozy/Janus + Softrock TX/RX

Don Kay - KI6FOM dbk-forums at cox.net
Tue May 22 21:35:43 PDT 2007

Hello hpsdr!

I am using  Ozy & Janus  with my 80/40 meter Softrock TXRX 6.1 and I have
been having a blast, but I have accumulated a few questions on the
operation of
PowerSDR. Coming from the softrock persuasion I may need some hand holding
from you SDR-1000 owners who are more familiar with  this software.

First, the noise floor seems a little optimistic. The overall
sensitivity is as good
or better than when using my main sound card (a "Mia" budget pro-audio card
from Echo Audio) but the noise shows up at -175 db. I'm getting signals
at 55 db
above the noise which don't even budge the S-meter.  Is this expected
with the
current release?

Second, how do I run digital modes? I have tried experimenting with VAC and
both Hamscope and  Multipsk but all I've succeeded in doing is locking up my
computer so badly I have to power cycle it. I imagine this is a knobs
problem but
I have looked through the production PowerSDR manual and it doesn't
cover the
subject very well. Is there some documentation specific to digital modes
somewhere?

Third, the softrock needs a PTT input from the computer as well as the I/Q
in order to transmit. Normally the "Rocky" software  for the softrocks  will
assert a PTT *output* to the softrock whenever the keyer is activated. I
don't
see any mention of a PTT output from Janus/Ozy mentioned in the manual, just
inputs. Is a PTT output available?

I hope you are all enjoying these boards as much as I am. Thanks in
advance for
any advice.

73 - Don (ki6fom)