[hpsdr] Boards arrived!

Jason Hitesman jason at hitesman.com
Thu May 10 15:54:03 PDT 2007

Yep, my assembled OZY and Janus partial kit showed up here in Yuma
today.  Guess I really need to get that janus parts ordering page I
started finished so I can get mine assembled!

In the meantime I've got some fun ideas to try with OZY...I'm just
quite clear on how to start just yet!  Been reading though as much as
I can in the SVN but I'm not even sure if I'm looking in the right
places.

With the announcement on the dttsp list about the use of MIDI in the
future I've been thinking about how to add a MIDI in/out to my HPSDR
since that's usually provided by a soundcard.

I suspect this could be done fairly easily with a little code in the
Cyclone and a half dozen components off one of the OZY headers..I'm
not that up on Verilog yet.

However I also have a MIDI<->IIC module from another project
(http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_iic_midi.html)

>From what I can tell so far I2C on OZY is already tied to the FX2 USB
controller and the I2C bus is available at J5.

So between this module and OZY I'm thinking it's just a matter of the
proper configuration on the FX2 and driver on the host computer to
have a USB MIDI In/Out based off Ozy.  Now I'm not sure if the
bandwidth will be there to do this at the same time as carrying audio
data from Janus....but at least it will give me something to use OZY
for in the meantime (I've been wanting MIDI on my notebook) and a
chance to learn some new stuff.

But for now I'm just hoping the forthcoming manual will help me figure
out where to get started better than the schematics and what I've been
able to find in the SNV have so far.

Guess I should get that order page cleaned up first though so I can
get my Janus together!

-----
Jason Hitesman
N8INJ