[hpsdr] How much -12V? Was Re: Power supplies, again

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt at panix.com
Sun May 13 15:32:18 PDT 2007

Hi all,
My apologies for following up my own message, but I'm trying to make a
decision on a PS.

It looks as if the power supplies that have been discussed in detail,
the pcoPSU's, don't have a lot of capacity at -12V, although they've
got plenty of capacity at the other voltages.  I like the idea of
using these PSU's, since I have lots of 13.8V running around the
shack, and dislike the idea of another 120V power cord and supply.

Can some of the other designers comment on how much -12V other boards
are likely to use?

73, doug

   Date: 11 May 2007 21:28:55 -0400
   From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt at panix.com>

   Hm, the 60W picoPSU seems to be rated for 50ma at -12V.  Even the 120W
   unit has a max rating of 100ma.

   73, doug

      Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:19:05 -0500
      From: Bill Tracey <bill at ewjt.com>

      I'd have sworn I'd posted the answer to this before, but can't seem
      to find it.

      Current draw I'm seeing with Ozy/Janus playing radio with an SDR 1000 is:

      +12v: 200 ma
      +5v: 180 ma
      -12v: 70 ma

      Regards,