[hpsdr] Janus U7 gets very hot

Chuck Hutton charlesh3 at msn.com
Wed May 30 21:55:36 PDT 2007

Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:09:15 -0700
From: Scott Cowling <scotty at tonks.com>
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Janus U7 gets very hot
To: hpsdr at hpsdr.org

Hi Joe,

We noticed this during testing.

A quick check of the data sheet shows that typical power dissipation
of the AK5394A is over 600mW.

That would, in fact, make it run hot!

A heat sink couldn't hurt, but is probably not necessary.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI

At 20:28 2007-05-30 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've started using Ozy/Janus with my SDR-1000 and I'm noticing that
>on Janus U7, the AK5394, gets really hot to the point where it can
>barely be touched. Is this normal for this chip? Should I consider
>mounting a heat sink on the chip?
>
>73 de Joe - AB1DO

Joe and Scott:

Take a look at this similar concern:
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/2962/0/

AKM doesn't tell us the thermal resistance from junction (die) to case so we
have no way to know for sure whether a heat sink is needed. We'll just have
to do a dangerous thing and take the word of their marketing manager..

Chuck