[hpsdr] Repeat of monthly HPSDR Announcement List

Don Jackson AE5K ae5k at hpsdr.org
Thu Nov 1 17:55:45 PDT 2007

The following is a copy (slightly modified) of the monthly "ping" to the
HPSDR Announcement List, one of the alternative options for keeping up
with our activities.  I know some of you are subscribed to both lists,
which is fine, but in this case you're getting a repeat.

This is the monthly (first of month) announcement to the HPSDR
Announcement List -- to let all list members know they are still on the
list and we've still alive.

Yesterday, I put out a call to the project leaders and workers for some
status reports of the HPSDR projects.  I know how I hated generating a
weekly status report when I was employed, so I thank the two who responded.

First, the good news about PENELOPE:

Penelope is working well.  Phil VK6APH has made a minor mod in the last
few days that improves the broadband noise output level.  I will be
updating the schematic and the PCB layout to reflect these changes in
the next couple of days.

Once this change is made, Penelope is ready for release to TAPR for
orders, production, etc.

73, Lyle KK7P

Again a reminder if you are interested in Penelope, make sure you
register this interest on www.hamsdr.com (projects page). You must
register free on this site to gain access to the HPSDR/TAPR projects page.

ALEX status:

The transmit-low pass filter PCB (Alpha pass) for ALEX was built and
tested for basic performance, then shipped to Phil VK6APH for further
evaluation.  Pictures are on the Wiki.

The PCB was damaged in shipping, and had all 17 toroid cores broken.
Phil has replaced and rewound all the cores, and is currently testing
the board, but the rework delayed things a week or two.  The filter
switching and the directional couplers all work fine. It looks good at
100 watts CW/SSB transmit duty cycle and will be rated at around 25 to
50 watts continuous carrier.

Enough small things have come up, such that there will be a Beta pass of
the Alex PCB.

The receiver-high pass filter PCB (Alpha pass) has completed layout and
went out to PCB fabrication yesterday.  First one should be built up in
a few weeks.

--- Graham / KE9H

Thanks Lyle and Graham for the reports.

Added to the HPSDR.org website is some info and a photo of a logo shirt.
(main page, scroll down).

Some stats: HPSDR Discussion List (reflector) subscribers: 735 (despite
a bunch of comcast subscribers being dumped due to blocking), HPSDR
Announcement List: 143.

I believe there will be an interesting announcement soon on the
discussion list and we'll be sure to relay it here to this announcement
list.

73, Don AE5K