[hpsdr] your comments

Giancarlo Moda i7swx at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 13:25:23 PST 2007

Hi Cornell,

thank you very much for your comments.

Thanks to Ray, WB6TPU, tip I was able to download the
STAR-10 Part 1 article.

--- CDrentea at aol.com wrote:

> Dear Larry Wolfgang.
>
> I read with some interest these fellows' postings
> and wonder where  these
> people come from?  A lot of fluff is truly evident
> at first glance to  say the
> least. First of all, they cannot even spell my name
> correctly judging by  Giano
> Moda's statements.  Maybe it is not me that they are
> talking  about?

Sorry for misspelling your surname. Well, you wrote my
name Giano in place of Gian (short for Giancarlo).
Thanks for the Giano, italian name of Ianus. It is a
very important name or at least it was ...

Janus is one of the oldest gods of the Romans. Several
myths exist about his origin, some stating that he was
a mortal king of Latium, who ruled a city on a hill.
The Tiber was his son.

He was the god of all beginnings and of passages such
as doors, gates and bridges.

[Maybe we can compare these to BP/Roofing filters,
switched mixers, and IFs...etc]

When during sacrifices the first part of the offering
was always to Janus, and he would always be named
first in any list of gods.

[My nme and person are not so important ... hi]

The first month of the year, the beginning, was
dedicated to Janus, and called January. His festival
was celebrated in January 1st.

Janus was often depicted with two faces, and was then
called Janus Bifrons.

[This emblem is reperesented in the cities of Genoa
(Italy), Frejus, Cote d'Azur France (where I lived for
six years recently)]

There were several temples to Janus in Rome, the most
famous was the one in the Forum Romanum, whose gates
would be open in time of war, and only closed in times
of peace.

[I hope we are not opening the "gate of war"...]

> Secondly, they insinuate that I do not know about
> H-mode  mixers.  I have a surprise
> for them in part 2.  The S-10 uses 30 watts  of DC
> power and an H-mode mixer in
> the front end to achieve performance.   Proper
> credit is given to all known
> intellectual property holders as you  know.

Well, I am very glad to know you know about the H-Mode
Mixer and you did use it in STAR-10. Also you will
report more surprising informations in Part2. Thanks,
I hope the informations in part 2 will clarify my
question(s) I have looking at your aticle and the
simplified diagrams. I am pzzled about using an H-Mode
Mixer with +27dBm drive to obtain +45dBm of IP3 when
the FST3125 H-Mode Mixer can deliver at least +40dBm
with a drive of 0dBm or less, and as demonstrated by
Martein, PA3AKE, using the FSA3157 we can reach up to
+50dBm of IP3, still with a low drive. +27dBm is a big
signal to keep it closed without having spurs floating
around.
My second ? is ... also, why not to use the H-Mode
Mixers in the 75-to-9MHz conversin (Rx & Tx) in place
of the TAK-3H mixer avoiding to use a +17dBm LO2
drive.
I am sure I will find clear answers to my questions in
part 2.

> These people did not even read the article. What are
> they mumbling  about?
> The S-10 does not compare performance with any SDR.
> Nor  does it claim
> supremacy in performance.  There may be better ways.
>   There are specific statements
> about this in the article.

I can tell you I did a first quick look at the
articles and its drawings. It is certainly a very
complx and important project and there is a lot to
learn. Thanks. I believe in Part3 you will publish the
full set of circuit diagrams. Here i where we do learn
and where (maybe) numbers could be easily understood.

73

Gian
I7SWX  always ready to learn ... if information is
simple.

(removed this part to keep message short)