[hpsdr] Spectrum analyzer

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 19 14:17:12 PST 2007

What a cool idea. I have been using my SDR set up with Flex software to look at close in phase noise of different oscillators in the shack.It is a great tool. Do you know the HP141 has a 50 MHz first IF. This makes the yig in the 8554 the perfect source for your project.
  Also the yig in the 8555 is good for going higher. You might download the 8554 manual on BAMA for ideas. I'm not a software person but will be glad to help with any testing once the hardware is ready. I am presently limited by close in phase noise of the RA6830 synthesizer and this is the first tool in my shack that allows me to measure changes real time. The 6830 close in phase noise is about -80 dBC at 200 hz dropping to -100 dBc at around 9 or 10 Khz. I had to add additional filtering of the 5 volt unregulated supply to get there. Frank WA1GFZ