[hpsdr] SW developement (was Cyclops - Spectrum Analyzer)

Andreas Troschka smtp01 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 20 04:09:37 PST 2007

Elio Corbolante wrote:

> > I'm sorry bu I disagree with you: maybe you don't know the MONO
> > "environment": it let you run applications written with Microsoft's
> > .NET on different OS like Linux/OS X/ ...
> > I think it will be better if you take a look at the following address:
> >
> > http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
> >
> > You'll find that the much dreaded M$ was praised for the .NET initiative.
> >
> > Unfortunately lots of people talk bad about Microsoft ONLY because it
> > is Microsoft.
> > Even an "evil" company like MS can develop some good products like
> > the .NET framework.
> > We have also to thank the MONO developers for their BIG effort to
> > port .NET on other OSs!!!
> >
> > .    ciao
> > _        Elio.
> >
> > P.S. It is a pleasure to run the same executable on Windows/Linux/OS
> > X without even recompiling it!!!
> > P.P.S.: Dear IK2WQI, please can you suggest other multi OS
> > developement environments? (Java excluded)

I positively do not see any disaccordance, Elio. You are confirming with one example what I'm saying in a more general sense.

My suggestion is to target the development of software for the HPDSR in a way it can be *efficiently* run on different computer systems.
One reason for this is the actual significant grow of people using both different hardware as operating systems.
Market and projections are actually showing that more devices as the sole PCs are and will be acquired.

It is a fact that software able to run on an operating system only is reaching the end of its life or is near to reach it very quickly.

Our aim, as HPSDR group, is to research and develop on SDR so attracting as much as possible interested and collaborating people to this project is of our advantage.
One way to obtain this is to pay attention to not limit the possible working range by the adoption of restrictive and encompassed technological solutions, refering both to software and hardware.
The hardware requirement is well supported by the use of a practical electronic and mechanical solution the group has already developed.
The requirements for the software part (and they come before a proposal of any software development platform) are, as you can see, already to be defined, instead.

Motivations I've adducted involving the Microsoft company in my precedent message, refer to the known (and easily verificable) trend about what is actual happening in the IT world today.
They are indeed not personal opinions but facts presented by accounted market research companies involved with the economists in driving the planet's economy.

Anyway they have been used to underline a situation we should follow with attention, more complex where many other actors are on the play, not last we, single users and developers.

>From what you are writing, Elio, it seems you know much about .NET, Mono, multiplatform programming and execution environments.
It would be nice to start the software part of the HPSDR project (if there is not already one I'm not aware of!) by discussing your ideas and have some proposals to put in debate with other software minded members of this group.
I'll recall that software is a significant part of an SDR so apart from particular firmware implementations on the various boards requiring mostly low level languages programming work and being partially out of this discussion, there is a large space for more projects to add to HPSDR.

The big difference of HPSDR if compared to the other projects we can find around the world is its flexibility offered by the modular architecture it is based on.
Let us transport this idea one to one on the software too. As there are no hardware restrictions in HPSDR, so it hasn't to exist any in the supporting software.

vy 73s de Andreas - ik2wqi

P.S. Dear Elio: as a friend of mine often says no "religion-war" regarding operating systems (and I add "or equipment") makes sense so far our aim is to R&D and use it as a tool we need to achieve our targets.