[hpsdr] more phase noise.

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 26 16:38:22 PDT 2007

John,
  I seem to remember a cool synthesizer you also did in QEX. I'll read that article a hundred times and hope something sinks in. I understand what you are saying though because the sample is the sample and the bandwidth you set is just concentrating on the part you want to hear. I expected the S meter level to drop 10 db log BW as the BW decreased. The olny thing that reduced the close in noise was going to better oscillators up to a crystal.
  The fact is my dynamic range degraded by the same amount for real close in signals. I'm sure the generators contributed to some of the crud I heard.
  The NF102 had octal tubes and we are going back a few years. It belonged in the scrap heap when I used it. On a good day I could do 3 plots reduce and graph the data by hand.
  I know the 8640B drifts. I hope the latest data on the 9910/12 has improved. The last time I looked there was no information to the spectrum plots like the older parts. It did look a little better than the older parts. tnx gfz