[hpsdr] [Flexradio] anyone attend DCC this weekend?

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Tue Oct 2 07:39:57 PDT 2007

Philip Covington wrote:

> Will FSM be the basis for the talked about next generation
> architecture of PowerSDR?

Some version of it, most probably.

> If so, how do you reconcile that most of
> Flex's customers are Windows users, the 5000c will use Windows XP as
> its OS, and your assertion that Windows will be the "odd one out" with
> the new Architecture?

The "odd" part really has more to do with the development path
than with capability. Erlang is fully functional and interoperable
on Windows. Beyond that, using cygwin/cygserver, there should be
*no* functional difference between Windows and any other platform.

Where the oddness arises is in how one would have to structure
applications *using only the Microsoft tools*. To take full
advantage, you'd essentially have to duplicate parts of Erlang and
most of cygserver in a single Microsoft-land app.

> It seems like it will be a similar situation to
> what we have now - a subset of what is possible with DttSP because of
> it being shoe-horned into a Windows app.

I don't believe that will be an issue, for the reasons mentioned
above. But there seems to be a general desire to move away from
dependency on the M$oft tools anyway, so I don't think it will
generate much resistance.

73
Frank
AB2KT