[hpsdr] Perseus is a reality

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Oct 9 17:33:23 PDT 2007

You could think of that as the IF sampling rate.  The receiver downconverts
to baseband (effectively, it's a direct-conversion receiver with an
image-reject mixer.)

The only question I'd have is, why is it the IF rate limited to 500 kHz?  I
know you can get a lot more data than that through USB 2.0 bulk transfers.
I'd be more interested if it could give me, say, 2.5 MSPS at 16-bit
resolution.  (I'm not sure what 24-bit resolution buys you with 16-bit
ADCs.)

Some other questions:

- Does it include the Verilog or VHDL source for the FPGA?

- I assume the data-acquisition and tuning API is fully-documented, and can
be called by user-written Win32 C++ code, right?  Is the interface DLL
open-source, by any chance?

- What limits the RF coverage to 10 kHz at the low end, and can it be
overridden to cover down to 0 Hz?

It's a nice package, overall, and the software sure looks good.  But other
implementations like the USRP are able to support much wider output
bandwidths.  That's pretty important for me, since I'm interested in
something I can use for instantaneous baseband acquisition from 0 Hz to 1
MHz in a phase-noise measurement rig.  Closed-source drivers and FPGA code
would also be a major drawback compared to the USRP, but I'm not sure if
that's an issue here.

-- john, KE5FX