[hpsdr] phase noise

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Oct 25 18:25:32 PDT 2007

Frank,

I don't have one of the receivers in question, but generally the apparent
noise level is tied to the sampling bandwidth.  If your sampling clock is 10
MHz, your noise bandwidth is 5 MHz, and you can normalize it to 1 Hz by
subtracting 67 dB*.

But you also have to realize that the noise energy is distributed evenly
between the FFT bins.  Digitally speaking, what does this rig do when you
"change bandwidths", as you say?  Does that mean it just uses a different
number of bins to draw the spectrum graph?  This is important: if the ADC's
sampling clock and front-end bandwidth didn't change, and the FFT kernel
size (# of bins) didn't change, then the noise level in each bin won't
change, either.

I'm not personally crazy about the idea of using an 8640B cavity as an LO
for a narrowband receiver LO.  They drift, and they are nothing special when
it comes to close-in phase noise (< 10 kHz).  Instead, consider adding a PLL
to clean up any DDS spurs at inter-channel offsets, or upgrading to a DDS
with better SFDR.

-- john, KE5FX

*: In reality, FFTs have "equivalent noise bandwidths" just like
conventional filters do, so the noise-normalization function is not strictly
10*log(BW).  This is a property of the window.  There's a decent tech note
on that phenomenon here:
http://www.bores.com/courses/advanced/windows/files/windows.pdf