[hpsdr] Phase noise

Grant Hodgson grant at ghengineering.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 02:39:08 PDT 2007

Frank

Re. DDS - the new AD9912 gives the advantage of both low phase noise AND
low spur levels.  From the data sheet that was published only last week,
it seems that the close-in spurs are very low indeed, and any wide-band
spurs could be filtered.  The AD9912 would seem to be a good choice for
an LO for Pheonix/Horton.

regards

Grant

--snip--

  I'm considering going back to my homebrew RX and ripping out the
synthesizer and installing an HP8640B cavity because that is the closest
thing I see to a crystal oscillator. Yes a DDS is clean close in at the
expense of bb spurs.
   Any smart guy want to set me straight here. Frank WA1GFZ