[hpsdr] computer memory added question

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 21:28:48 PDT 2007

--- Tony Langdon <vk3jed at gmail.com> wrote:

> At 10:26 PM 7/16/2007, michael taylor wrote:
>

> >This is a good example why we weren't playing with SDR twenty years
> >ago, it was not just the cost/availability of high performance A/D
> >converters, but also the availability of low cost yet sufficient
> >computing resources necessary to decode signals in "soft" real-time.

20 Years ago I was working on a system that processed high speed
I and Q samples, a few million per second.  but they were 6-bit
samples.  The first thing it did was compute an FFT.
Computers that could compute FFTs on megasample/sec
data filled a few equipment racks back them.  So we used custom
ICs for the FFTs all of the multipliers and adders and the logic for
the butterfly algorithm was in a custom IC and many of these ICs
where placed on a PCB.    Playing this game back them was not
inexpensive.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org