[hpsdr] Pandora Update and Question

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 15:11:49 PDT 2007

--- "J.D. Bakker" <jdb at lartmaker.nl> wrote:

> Wouldn't that be more expensive than just using FPE/Schaeffer ?

I don't know but the above service looks great.

My idea basically was (1) rather then have a custom box
made, just have one side of a box made such that it
could be used with a standard size widely available chassis.
and (2) Made each slot custom to the connectors on a set of
HPSDR cards, even if this means multiple panel design
files.

The problem with custom boxes is that you need a minimum
size production run and then you have to store these some
place while they are boxed up and shipped off to end users.
And shipping will cost more for a box than a panel.
It's not so bad keeping 100 PCBs in even a small apartment
but 100 complete Pandora chassis would fill a few forklift
pallets.

Publishing just the design files solves the distribution
problem too.  Each end user could order his own panel or
a few could do a group buy and save some money.  No one
has to front up $6,000 for a production run either.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson at aero.org
  KG6OMK