[hpsdr] MW DXpedition Ozy/Janus/Atlas Comments

dx at guyatkins.com dx at guyatkins.com
Sun Sep 23 20:01:23 PDT 2007

Hi Phil, Ahti, and Ramakrishnan,

Thank you all for your comments. Yes, I did have JP1, JP4, JP3 and JP6 set
to "open" before using the balanced input. The panadapter trace has been
nice and flat in both the balanced and unbalanced input modes...that is one
thing I like very much; no "humps" at the ends of the passband.

Although I had to switch to the unbalanced input for the remainder of the
DXpedition at least, I'm pleased with the receiver response using the
unbalanced method. The sensitivity and ability of the radio to recover weak
audio is now equal to other communications gear in use here.

I have also been pleased with the low noise floor using the unbalanced
Janus input, compared to the stock SDR-1000 with the Presonus Firebox I
used earlier. With a 50-ohm terminator, after calibration using an XG-1, I
am seeing a -145 to -147 dBm noise floor on some frequency ranges (4 to 5
MHz seems to give the best NF). If I recall correctly, the *balanced* input
method gave a very similar NF.

My balanced cable is very short, has a high density outer shield, and the
IQ pairs go through ferrite core RFI suppression for good measure (although
I didn't calculate any supression or response in advance; I just wrapped a
few turns through a binocular core). To be really effective, I'd probably
need more impedance and the audio frequencies of IQ. I will have to give
the balanced method a try again once I return home; it does seem to need
about 10 dB more gain as Ahti has mentioned.

Well, I'd better leave this internet cafe and return back to the DX
site...it is time for the trans-Atlantic MW DX to start rising above the
band noise! We get a few hours sleep after the trans-Atlantic catches fade
down, and then the Asian and Pacific DX starts to roll in. By the way, we
have been using numerous Beverage antennas, large terminated loops, and two
prototype Wellbrook phased arrays.

73,

Guy