[hpsdr] QSD gain and noise.

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:50:18 PDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Johan Maas <johan.maas at hetnet.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A quick thought.... when we are setting the lsb of the divisor always to 0
> will that solve the problem?
>
> By the way iam not using the msb of the accu but yousing the msb of the
> output of the cordic algorithm (see svn trunk of Phil Harman for the
> cordic.v)
>
> 73 Johan PA3GSB

If you work through the math I think you will see that using the MSB
of the accumulator or the sign bit from the CORDIC is equivalent.

By using the one bit (MSB or Sign) as an output, you are throwing away
information.  This one bit can only change on each clock with a jitter
of 1 clock period. At 100 MHz that is 10 ps.

73 Phil